I have been reading Shapes of Chance, my 2013 NaNovel, and rather enjoying it.
What I have done with these read-throughs in the past has been to read through the paper copy making notes on all elements of it. However, this time I am reading the book as a book without a pen in hand – on my Kindle, in fact – which means I am getting a more subjective sense of how the story flows. I am about a quarter of the way through and it’s flowing quite well so far.
What I wanted to write down was a plan. I am still working on drafting Song, and I still see that as the most likely story to be completed this year, but it is good to have two stories in hand which have some narrative drive.
With that, I need to have a plan for Shapes:
- finish reading of draft – two phase process, once for readability and once for errors.
- apply corrections from draft read
- give it to my wife to read
- restructure outline – found some changes in the draft from the original outline
- second draft – make existing material match outline; add new material
That’s probably all that’s manageable this year. If I happen to burn through all of this then I will add more.