Since I’ve switched my November project to completing the second draft of Song, the prep for it has changed from when I was planning on writing a new story.
This time last year I was talking about character and setting, but for the most part those are settled for Song. What I am looking for right now are holes. I am working through the current manuscript on my Kindle and taking notes as follows:
- where there are extra things that need to be written – one of the characters in particular has a larger role in the story now than before I reworked the outline, so I need to add scenes and character development.
- alternate scenes that take the narrative in a different direction – I made some errors in revealing the story in the first stab at the early scenes. I am annotating those.
- breadcrumbs that need to be dropped – parallel to rewriting scenes that are wrong is adding elements to scenes that do the right thing but are missing foreshadowing or clues that bolster events later in the story.
- cool things – there are still cool ideas about this story to be captured!
When I run off the end of the current manuscript, I also want to look at the way I am telling the story in the second half, because it’s getting to be too static – lots of scenes of the protagonist and his team analysing network traffic. I need to find a way to give that more texture.