I’ve had more than one novel on the go ever since my second year of NaNoWriMo, when I put down the vampire story I was working on from the previous year and wrote the 50,000 word prĂ©cis of the Kissiltur trilogy*.

2015 was the year I wrote most of the second draft of Shapes of Chance, and then I decided to write two novels simultaneously for MaNoWriMo. This act of performance stunt writing means that I now have four novels in active development:

  • A Turquoise Song – first draft in November 2011, second draft completed in November 2014. Second draft remains unread, but I think about this story all the time.
  • Shapes of Chance – first draft written in November 2013, second draft about 75% complete (I’ve consumed 85% of the outline, but I need to write a lot of new words for the later scenes which means there is more than 15% of the work left)
  • Perscon – first draft written in November 2015, as yet unread
  • Livia and the Corpuscles – first draft written in November 2015, read and typo corrected.

I’ve been working on Shapes again this January while I have been waiting for feedback on Livia, but I will be picking that up again in a few days to turn it into a second draft strong enough to be printed out and donated to the day job company library.

All of this chopping and changing reminds me of the computing term RAID which, when it was first coined, meant Redundant Array of Inexpensive Discs.

What I have in the list above is a Redundant Array of Incomplete Novels.

[*] the Kissiltur trilogy is in abeyance at the moment, possibly even more than the vampire story. The superhero horror story I wrote after both of those two turned out very very badly – still a story I want to tell, but not like that.

Leave a Reply